Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Just for the stay at home mamas....don't you eat bon bons all day too?

I don't know about other stay-at-home mamas but I do find it funny/bothersome/intersting when I hear parents say that waking up at night with their kid was so hard b/c they have to go to work and function. As if those of us staying home to care for children don't have to function? Or those moms that are sick saying...if only I didn't have to go to work, I'd just lay around the house and watch movies and nap all day. As if those of us staying home to care for kids/home do get to do those things.
Being a mom is a hard job. Working or at home. I get that. But to stand up for at home mamas...I must say that this is NOT what I do all day:

-Sleep in til 10 and crawl out of bed to a new day
-Eat bon bons
-Lounge in PJs all day
-Put my feet up and read a leisure book for 2 hours
-Take a 2 hour nap
-Get my hair and nails done
-Watch my favorite soap
-Watch a movie
-Chat for an hour on the phone with my BFF
-Go shopping at the Gap

Not that any of those things are bad...but not things one can really do when they're taking care of little kiddos. My day looks a little more like this:

-Wake up at 4 am to nurse baby
Wake up (if I had fallen back asleep)at 5:30 when hubby leaves
Be summoned at 6:30 to "Mommy, where are you?" from the toddler. Quickly pull on some clothes.
Get tot up, dressed, breakfast prepared, hands washed, teeth brushed, hair brushed, bottom wiped, etc. while simultaneously...
Getting baby up, nursed, and changed.

Start emptying dish washer,
Build lego towers,
Start laundry,
Read Winnie the Pooh three times,
Go shopping...at WinCo with two littles (my work out for the day)
Unload littles and the bags of cold groceries,
Nurse baby,
Clean spit up out of my belly button,
Text hubby,
Tantrum and time out for tot,
Make lunch, nap time stories and cuddles,
Hang out with baby who may or may not enjoy a nap....,
Bring up the rest of the groceries that are still in the car,
Finish emptying dish washer while listening to a pod cast,
Do more dishes, sweep kitchen, peel and cut sweet potatoes for dinner,
Switch laundry,
Chat on the phone....with the pediatrician/pharmacist/insurance/other boring place that takes all our money.
Probably nurse baby some more. Convince baby that taking a nap while his brother naps is a great thing to do.
Pass out on the couch for 5 minutes to read Ordinary Mom, Extraordinary God.
One of the two or both wake up.
Snack time,
Several diaper changes in there,
Play time,
Tantrum and a time out for the tot,
Send an e-mail or two,
Build some more Lego houses. Do a 24 piece puzzle. Snuggle the tot while reading Mickey Mouse. Explain the difference between a squirrel and a chipmunk.
Switch laundry again
Clean up something.
Sing songs with Mateo,
Lay on the floor with Alex,
Clean up more spit up,
Hang up tiny outfits in closets,
Make dinner and have it on the table at 5:30 when the hubby gets home.

Fortunately for me, my hubby is very appreciative of everything that happens in a typical day at home with two little boys. And I am equally appreciative of him getting up early every day to go to work and financially support our family.

And, though I got tired re-reading my list, I would not rather be anywhere else on any given day. I may be a bit tired, a bit frumpy, but content in my current role. It's the hardest job I've ever had and if anybody tells you it's easy there is something very wrong with them. And, though I am with my boys every single day, I really don't get tired of them....especially when they take their naps and sleep at night :)

2 comments:

  1. GREAT post idea, may copy it soon! ALL ARE SO TRUE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do copy it! Would be fun to read. (And I got the bon bon thought from YOUR blog haha)

    ReplyDelete